Dr. Nalin Sharda gained B. Tech. and PhD. degrees from the Indian Institute of Technology – Delhi, in 1974 and 1984 respectively. Presently he teaches and leads research in Multimedia and Internet Communications at the School of Computer Science and Mathematics, Victoria University. He has worked in the IT industry, taught at Curtin and Murdoch Universities in Australia, and held visiting / adjunct positions at Florida Atlantic University, USA; Jaypee University of Information Technology, India; and Karlstad University, Sweden.
Nalin’s publications include the textbook entitled Multimedia Information Networking, Prentice Hall, and around 100 other publications. He has contributed to editing and publishing papers and articles on Multimedia Authoring and Networking in the Encyclopaedia of Multimedia, the Handbook of Multimedia Computing, the Handbook of Internet Computing, IEEE & ACM journals, the Communications of the AIS, and numerous international conferences. He is an editor for the Informing Science Journal, the International Journal of Computers and Applications, and the Journal of Multimedia Tools and Applications. Nalin’s current research interests and related publications include applications of the Internet and
multimedia systems to enhance communications and the development of tourism ICT systems. Nalin has developed a number of conceptual models for integrating the art, science and technology of multimedia systems, including: Multimedia Design and Planning Pyramid (MUDPY) – a metadesign framework for multimedia systems design; and Movement Oriented Design (MOD) – a new paradigm for designing the temporal aspect of multimedia systems.
Nalin has led other joint research projects with The University of Melbourne, RMIT University, Defence Science and Technology Organization, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and the Centre for Advanced Computing. His research collaborators include Florida Atlantic University, USA; Santa Clara University, USA; Jyapee University of Information Technology, India; Aachen University of Technology, Germany, and many other academic institutions and the ICT industries in Australia and abroad. Nalin has supervised over 30 Masters and Ph.D. projects.
His recent funded projects include:
• Chief Investigator: An Abstracted Ontology and Application Generator for Web-Based Tourism Systems and Services, 2005-06, Victoria University, University of Technology Sydney, Monash University, $130K.
• Co-chief investigator: Demonstrating the Potential of Travel Recommender Systems, 2005-06, University of Tasmania, Victoria University, La Trobe University, Murdoch University, $170K.
• Chief Investigator: Leading Edge Developments in Tourism ICT and Related Underlying Technologies, 2004-05, Victoria University and Edith Cowan University, $55K.
Recent Publications and Presentations Books
1. N. Sharda, four sections on Multimedia Authoring, in the Encyclopaedia of Multimedia, Furht, Borko (Ed.), Springer, 2006.
2. Sam Hsu, Nalin Sharda, and Oge Marques, Chapter on Internet–Based Distance Leaning, Handbook of Internet Computing, CRC Press, 2000.
3. N. Sharda, Multimedia Information Networking, Prentice Hall, 1999.
4. N. Sharda, Chapter on Multimedia Networks, Handbook of Multimedia Computing, CRC Press, 1999.
5. N. Sharda and A. Tam (Editors), Parallel and Real-Time Systems, Springer-Varlag, 1997. Papers
1. Roopa Jakkilinki, Nalin Sharda and Imran Ahmed, MUDPY Ontology: A Tool for Multimedia Project Planning, Design and Development, Journal of Enterprise Information Management, Volume: 19, Issue: 2, 2006.
2. Mladen Georgievski, Nalin Sharda, Re-Engineering the Usability Testing Process for Live Multimedia Systems, Journal of Enterprise Information Management, Volume: 19, Issue: 2, 2006.
3. Kimber, J., Georgievski, M., Sharda, N., Developing a Visualisation Tool for Tour Planning, IFITT Global Travel & Tourism Technology and eBusiness Conference, Lausanne, Switzerland, ENTER 2006: 18- 20 January, 2006.
4. Mladen Georgievski, Nalin Sharda, Implementation and Usability of User Interfaces for Quality of Service Management, Tencon'05: Annual technical conference of IEEE Region 10, 21 - 24 November 2005, Australia.
5. Roopa Jakkilinki, Nalin Sharda and Mladen Georgievski, Developing an Ontology for Multimedia Design and Planning Pyramid, M2USIC 2005: MMU International Symposium on Information and Communications Technologies, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia, 24th - 25th November 2005.
6. Nalin Sharda and Mladen Georgievski, KK Lim, Mapping the TRAQS Quality of Service Model to the m-Apps Middleware, M2USIC 2005: MMU International Symposium on Information and Communications Technologies, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia, 24th - 25th November 2005.
7. Roopa Jakkilinki, Nalin Sharda and Imran Ahmad, Ontology-Based Intelligent Tourism Information Systems: An overview of Development Methodology and Applications, TES2005: Tourism Enterprise Strategies: Thriving – and Surviving – in an Online Era, 11-12 July 2005, Centre for Hospitality and Tourism Research (CHTR), Victoria University, Melbourne, Australia.
8. Jayden Kimber, Mladen Georgievski and Nalin Sharda, Developing Usability Testing Systems and Procedures for Mobile Tourism Services, Annual Conference on Information Technology in the Hospitality Industry, HITA 2005, Hospitality Information Technology Association, June 19th and 20th, 2005, Los Angeles, USA.
9. Nalin Sharda, Movement Oriented Design: A New Paradigm for Multimedia Design, International Journal of Lateral Computing (IJLC), Vol. 1, No. 1, May 2005, pp 7-14. This paper was originally presented as a keynote address at the First World Congress on Lateral Computing, WCLC 2004, 18 Dec. 2004.
10. Mladen Georgievski, Nalin Sharda, Enhancing User Experience for Networked Multimedia Systems, 4th International Conference on Information Systems Technology and its Applications, ISTA2005, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand, 23 – 25 May, 2005.
11. Nalin Sharda, Nayanathara Hosur Ramesh, Task Modeling for a Multimedia Authoring System Based on The Movement Oriented Design Methodology, International Conference on Internet and
Multimedia Systems and Applications, EuroIMSA2005, Grindelwald, Switzerland 21-23 Feb. 2005.
12. Mladen Georgievski, Nalin Sharda, Re-Engineering the Usability Testing Process for Live Multimedia Systems, The 2004 International Research Conference on Innovations in Information Technology, IIT2004, Oct 4-6, 2004, Dubai, UAE.
13. Roopa Jakkilinki, Nalin Sharda, MUDPY Ontology: An Innovative Tool for Multimedia Project Development, The 2004 International Research Conference on Innovations in Information Technology, IIT2004, Oct 4-6, 2004, Dubai, UAE.
14. Sanjay Goel, Nalin Sharda, What do engineers want? Examining engineering education through Bloom’s taxonomy, 15th Annual Conference for the Australasian Association for Engineering Education, AaeE 2004, 27th - 29th September 2004, Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia.
15. Nalin Sharda, Creating Meaningful Multimedia with The Multimedia Design and Planning Pyramid, The 10th International Multi-Media Modelling Conference, MMM2004, January 5-7, 2004, Brisbane, Australia.
BriefCV_ShardaV2.5.doc Updated 3/10/2006 3
16. Mladen Georgievski, Nalin Sharda, Task Modelling for a Holistic Quality of Service Model - TRAQS, IEEE India Council Annual Convention and Exhibition 2003, ACE2003, Dec 12-14, 2003, Hotel Le Meridien, Pune, India.
17. Mladen Georgievski, Nalin Sharda, Usability Testing for Real-Time QoS Management, 24th IEEE International Real-Time Systems Symposium, RTSS2003, Dec 3-5, Cancun, Mexico. Presentations
1. Creating Mobile Multimedia Experiences: Future Opportunities and Challenges, Seminar:
i. The International Institute of Information Technology (I2IT), Pune, India. 21 Feb 2006
ii. Maharashtra Institute of Technology (MIT), Pune, India, 20 Feb 2006.
2. Enhancing Learning Outcomes using Educational Stories Developed with Movement Oriented Design (MOD), Keynote address: World Congress on Lateral Computing (WCLC 2005), 16-18 December
2005, Bangalore, India.
3. Research Opportunities and Challenges in Tourism ICT Systems, Seminar:
i. University of Management and Technology (UMT), Lahore, Pakistan. 27 September 2005.
ii. Mohammad Ali Jinnah University, Karachi, Pakistan. 26 September 2005.
iii. Centre for Hospitality and Tourism Research, Victoria University, Australia. 21 July 2005.
iv. Sustainable Tourism CRC, Sunshine Convention Centre, Victoria University, Sunshine Campus, Victoria, 1 October 2004.
4. Is Middleware the Killer Application for Mobile Business? Industry Talk: The Fourth International Conference on Mobile Business, July 11-13, 2005, Sydney, Australia.
5. Mobile Multimedia Information Transmission, Tutorial: International Conference on Internet and Multimedia Systems and Applications, EuroIMSA2005, Grindelwald, Switzerland, 22 February2005.
6. Project and Research Methodology, Short Course: Jaypee University of Information Technology, JIIT Campus, Noida, India, 22-24 December 2004
7. Movement Oriented Design: A New Paradigm for Multimedia Systems Design.
i. Seminar: Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, Florida, USA, 24 June 2005.
ii. Collaboration meetings: Fraunhofer IAO - University of Stuttgart IAT, Germany, 18 Feb. 2005.
iii. Keynote address: World Congress on Lateral Computing (WCLC 2004), 18 December, 2004.
iv. Seminar: Edith Cowan University, Perth, Western Australia, 05 November 2004.
v. Seminar: Poona University, Pune, India, 30 October 2004.
vi. Workshop: RWTH Aachen University of Technology, Germany, 8 October 2004.
vii. Workshop: The 2004 International Research Conference on Innovations in Information Technology, IIT2004, Dubai, UAE, 6 October 2004.
8. MUDPY Ontology: An Innovative Tool for Multimedia Project Development, Distinguished lecture: RWTH Aachen University of Technology, Germany, 7 October 2004.
9. Multimedia Design Fundamentals and Methodologies: Short Course: Jaypee University of Information Technology, JIIT Campus, Noida, India, 26-30 July 2004.
10. Scientific Research Methodology, Short Course: Jaypee University of Information Technology, JIIT Campus, Noida, India, 20-24 July 2004.
11. Creating Meaningful Multimedia, Seminar:
i. City University of New York, 17 Feb. 2004.
ii. Institute of Info. Systems & Info. Management, Joanneum Research, Graz, Austria, 13 Feb. 2004.
12. Building a Software Bridge between Australia and India, Seminar:
i. IndiaSoft2004 Conference, Taj Palace Hotel, New Delhi, 10-12 February, 2004.
ii. Industry-Institute Synergy for Knowledge Supremacy, 30 Jan, 2004, Bristol Hotel, Delhi. Photos: Presentation| Discussion
13. Networked Multimedia Systems, Seminar:
i. Mahatma Gandhi Mission's College of Eng. and Technology, Noida, India, 11 Feb., 2004.
ii. Short Course: Jaypee University of Information Technology, Noida, India, 2-6 February, 2004.
14. Enhancing Learning Outcomes with Projects, Seminar: Learning Matters Symposium, Victoria University, 4 December 2003.
15. The WWW of Ontology: What, Why and hoW, Seminar: Victoria University, Australia, 10 Oct. 2003.
16. A Holistic Quality of Service Model, Seminar:
i. School of Computer Science and Mathematics, Victoria University, Australia, 20 May 2003.
ii. Computer Science Department, Deakin University, Australia, 2002.